Updated: 31 August 2021
This site (www.crimenb.ca) is best viewed on Microsoft Edge Version 92 or higher, or a current version of Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or equivalent browser software. If your browser is older, you may have trouble viewing many of our website features as originally intended.
Personal information collected from visitors
The nature of the Internet is such that Web servers automatically collect certain information about a visit to a website, including the visitor’s Internet Protocol (IP) address. IP addresses are unique numbers assigned by Internet Service Providers (ISP) to all devices used to access the Internet. Web servers automatically log the IP addresses of visitors to their sites. The IP address, on its own, does not identify an individual. However, in certain circumstances, such as with the cooperation of an ISP for example, it could be used to identify an individual using the site. For this reason, Crime Stoppers considers the IP address to be personal information, particularly when combined with other data automatically collected when visitor requests a Web page such as the page or pages visited and date and time of the visit.
Unless otherwise noted, the Crime Stoppers’ website does not gather any specific personal information from you, such as your name, telephone number or email address. This information is obtained only if you supply it to us, for example, by email or by filling in a contact form.
If you choose to send an email or complete a feedback form online, your personal information is used by Crime Stoppers' employees in order to respond to your enquiry. The information you provide will be shared with a government institution if your inquiry relates to that institution. We do not disclose the information without your consent to anyone other than to those who need to provide you with a response unless doing so is permitted or required by law.
Emails and other electronic methods used to communicate with Crime Stoppers are not secure unless it is specifically stated on a Web page. Therefore, it is recommended that you do not send personal information, such as your Social Insurance Number, home address, telephone numbers, and photographs of identifiable individuals through non-secure electronic means.
Standard Internet information automatically collected from all visitors
We employ software programs to monitor network traffic and identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. When you visit the Crime Stoppers website, these software programs automatically receive and temporarily store in our Web server logs information that is supplied by your browser (e.g., Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, etc.). Information automatically collected by our server when you browse this website includes the following:
- Network location and the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using to contact this website;
- Name of the domain you are using to access the Internet (e.g., “.com,” “.org,” “.net,” and “.ca”);
- Type of browser you are using;
- Type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows and Mac OS);
- Date and time you accessed the site;
- Pages you have accessed and the documents you have downloaded; and
- Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to this site, if applicable.
In most circumstances, this is anonymous statistical data, and we make no attempt to link this data or the IP addresses of the computers that have contacted our website with the identity of individuals visiting our site unless an attempt to damage the site has been detected, a threat is expressed in a message collected by the site, or as otherwise required by law.
Digital Markers (or cookies)
A digital marker is a computer file created by a visitor’s Web browser, in order to remember certain pieces of information for a web server to reference during the same or subsequent visits to the website. Examples of digital markers are “cookies” or HTML 5 web storage.
We use “session and persistent” digital markers on some portions of the Crime Stoppers website to store information within a session. During your visit to this site, your browser exchanges information with our Web server. Session and persistent digital markers facilitate this exchange by reminding the server which computer is making the request. The digital markers used do not allow the employees of the Crime Stoppers website (or our third-party providers) to identify individuals.
You may adjust your browser settings to reject digital markers, including cookies, if you so choose. However, this may affect your user experience on the website.
Web analytics is the collection, analysis, measurement, and reporting of data about Web traffic and visits for purposes of understanding and optimizing Web usage. Information in digital markers may be used for the purpose of web analytics to remember your online interactions with the Crime Stoppers website.
We use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google Inc. to help measure traffic patterns to, from, and within our website. This analytics measurement tool uses “session” and “persistent” cookies to collect standard Internet log information and to track visitor behaviour information in an anonymous form. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer and expire two years after your last visit to the website. The information generated by the cookies about your visit to our website (including your truncated IP address) is transmitted to Google. No personal identifying information is recorded or provided to Google. This anonymous information is then used to evaluate visitors’ use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity. The aggregate data and statistical reports are only used to help us make our site more useful to visitors and are only made available to Web managers and other designated staff who require this information to perform their duties.
Disabling Digital Markers
Because the servers of social media platforms are managed by a third party, our social media accounts are subject to downtime that may be out of our control. As such, we accept no responsibility for third-party platforms.
Crime Stoppers’ social media accounts are public and are not hosted on Crime Stoppers’ servers. Users who choose to interact with us via social media should read the terms of service and privacy policies of these third-party service providers and those of any applications you use to access them, including Twitter, YouTube, Facebook.
Personal information that you provide via social media may be collected to capture conversations (e.g. comments, “likes”, retweets) between you and the social accounts associated with the Crime Stoppers website. It may be used to respond to enquiries, or for statistical, evaluation and reporting purposes. Comments posted that violate Canadian law will be deleted and disclosed to law enforcement authorities.
Our social media accounts may post or display links or ads for websites that are not under our control. These links are provided solely for the convenience of users. Crime Stoppers is not responsible for the information found through these links or ads, nor does it endorse the sites or their content, unless otherwise specified.
Some of the content on the Crime Stoppers website may be subject to the copyright of another party. This is particularly true of sites that are jointly operated by a Government of Canada institution and an external organization as part of a collaborative arrangement. Where information has been produced or copyright is not held by Crime Stoppers, the materials are protected under the Copyright Act and international agreements. In such cases, some restrictions on the reproduction of materials or graphical elements may apply and it may be necessary to seek permission from the rights-holder prior to reproducing the material.
Crime Stoppers respects the Official Languages Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and is committed to ensuring all information on this site is available in both French and English. Information provided in a language other than English or French is only for the convenience of our website visitors.
Our social media accounts are not hosted by the Crime Stoppers’ website and represent only our presence on third-party service providers. Many social media platforms have multiple language options and provide instructions on how to set your preferences. Crime Stoppers respects the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Official Languages Act and is committed to ensuring that our information is available in both French and English and that both versions are of equal quality.
We may share links that direct users to sites of organizations or other entities that are not subject to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms or Official Languages Act and are available only in the language(s) in which they are written.
Links to Other Websites and Ads
Links to websites not under the control of Crime Stoppers are provided solely for the convenience of our website visitors. We are not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of the information provided by external sources. Crime Stoppers does not offer any guarantee in that regard and is not responsible for the information found through these links, nor does it endorse the sites and their content unless otherwise specified.
Visitors should also be aware that information offered by sites to which this website links is not subject to the Official Languages Act and may not be accessible to persons with disabilities. The information offered may be available only in the language(s) used by the sites in question. With respect to privacy, visitors should research the privacy policies of these non-government websites before providing personal information.
- The material contained on this website constitutes Copyright and is intended for your general use and information. You may download, display, print and reproduce this material, ONLY WITH CONSENT OF N.B. CRIME STOPPERS, INC., in unaltered form only (retaining this notice, and any headers and footers) for your personal, non-commercial use or use within your organization.
- You may distribute any copies of downloaded material in unaltered, complete form only (retaining this notice, and any headers and footers). All other rights are reserved.
- The material on this website is provided for general information only, and on the understanding that N.B. Crime Stoppers, Inc. is not providing professional advice on a particular matter.
- The material may include the views or recommendations of third parties and does not necessarily reflect the views of N.B. Crime Stoppers, or indicate a commitment to a particular course of action.
- This website contains information that is intended to simplify the law for ease of comprehension. In addition, errors or omissions can occur in the preparation of web pages. Therefore, before relying on the material, users should independently verify its accuracy, completeness, relevance for their purposes and that it is up-to-date.
- Before any action or decision is taken on the basis of any material on this website, the user should obtain appropriate independent professional advice.
- Links to other websites are provided for the user’s convenience and do not constitute an endorsement of material at those sites, or any associated organization, product or service.
- Requests for further authorization: Contact Us for details.
N.B. Crime Stoppers – Digital Media Services owns and maintains several website addresses (known as URLs) to easily direct visitors and users to various sections of our website and social media operations. For example: Many sites like Twitter limit the number of characters used when sending messages, so lengthy website addresses will automatically be shortened using our URL shortener service (1800222.tips) powered by bitly™. The URL address for our FAQ page, for instance, will look like this: https://1800222.tips/3gNpbEg. If you see a link from us on our website, or in an email that you’re unsure about, do not hesitate to email us at: email@example.com. Here is a complete list of the website addresses we own and maintain:
- www.crimenb.ca | Primary Website Address
- www.nbcs-ecnb.ca | Administration and Volunteer Access (Corporate Use Only)
- 1800222.tips | URL (website address) shortener service powered by bitly™
- www.crimetip.ca | Direct connection to secure tip submission form (English)
- www.signalement.ca | Direct connection to secure tip submission form (French)
- www.tipsubmit.ca | Link to download Mobile Apps
- www.crimestoppers.mobi | Connect with Crime Stoppers on mobile devices and tablets